Virgil van Dijk is a Dutch professional footballer who captains the national football team of the Netherlands and plays as a central defender for Premier League club Liverpool. He is renowned for his highly fluid ball-playing defense abilities.
Virgil van Dijk’s Early life
A middle-class family with a Dutch father named Ray Van Dyke and a Surinamese mother named Ruby Van Dyke welcomed Virgil Van Dijk into the world on July 8, 1991, in Breda. He had to work a part-time job as a dishwasher to help support his family throughout his youth while attending football practice at William II School.
Virgil van Dijk’s Career
Van Dijk’s career began with the Dutch club Groningen. He performed there from 2011 until 2013. He later transferred to Celtic in the Scottish Premiership. In his two seasons at Celtic, he won a Scottish League Cup and two league championships. He relocated to Southampton of the Premier League in 2015. Van Dijk joined Liverpool on January 1, 2018, at the cost of £75 million for a world record. On April 8, 2019, he received a Player of the Year nomination. On March 22, 2019, Ronald Koeman appointed him captain of the Netherlands, capping off one of his best years.
Achievements by Virgil van Dijk
- In 2013–14 and 2014–15, won PFA Scotland Team of the Year
- Celtic FC’s 2013–14 Player of the Year
- Southampton’s 2015–16 Player of the Year
- 2017–18 and 2018–19 UEFA Champions League Teams of the Season
- FIFA World XI5th Team FIFPro 2018
- 2018–19 Premier League Player of the Year
- PFA Team of the Year: Premier League 2018–19
- November 2018 PFA Player of the Month
- December 2018 Premier League Player of the Month
- 2018 UEFA Team of the Year
- The 2018–19 Liverpool Fans Player of the Season Award
- The 2018–19 Liverpool Players’ Player of the Season Award
- 2018–19 PFA Players’ Player of the Year
- The 2019 UEFA Nations League Final Match of the Competition
Records held by Virgil van Dijk
On October 10, 2015, Van Dijk made his full international debut for the Netherlands in a 2-1 win against Kazakhstan in a UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying match. For his country, he scored his first goal on March 26 at the Stade de Genève, capping a 3-0 victory over Portugal, the defending European champions. In the UEFA Nations League on October 13, he scored in a 3-0 win against 2014 World Cup champions Germany. Van Dijk was honored as the game’s MVP by UEFA following Liverpool’s 2-0 victory against Tottenham in the UEFA Champions League Final on June 1, 2019. Van Dijk decided to withdraw from the postponed UEFA Euro 2020 in May 2021 so that he would have ample time to recuperate from a long-term injury that had sidelined him since October 2020.