Finalists in the tournament nine times, Chile has requested that FIFA look into allegations that Ecuador used ineligible right-back Byron Castillo, during their successful qualifying campaign. FIFA dismissed a complaint filed by Chile against Ecuador last month, but La Roja is just not letting it go away.
However, the decision by FIFA on June 10 cleared Ecuador to compete in the November finals in Qatar, but the Chileans are still pressing the issue.
Chile’s Football Federation (ANFP) has appealed FIFA’s decision to dismiss its complaint that Ecuador fielded an ineligible player during World Cup qualifying.
Chile intends to appeal against FIFA’s decision to dismiss their previous complaint about Ecuador’s World Cup participation.
According to the Chile ANPF, Ecuador’s Byron Castillo was born in Tumaco, Colombia, as stated in his official documents. Castillo has also played in eight qualifying games, including a goalless draw with Chile in September and a 2-0 victory in November.
Even so, after investigating the claims made by ANPF, FIFA, the world football’s governing body, turned down the appeal last month and confirmed Ecuador’s place in Qatar. It was claimed that the Barcelona of Guayaquil fullback used a false passport and birth certificate while playing in eight of Ecuador’s 18 qualifying games for the Qatar World Cup.
FIFA stated that it would not take action “after analyzing the submissions of all affected parties and considering all elements brought before it.”
On the other hand, Chile announced on Thursday that it had filed an appeal with FIFA, the world governing body of soccer.
“We are completely certain about the conclusions of our investigations,” said Jorge Yunge, general secretary of the Chilean Football Association, in a statement. The ANFP, on the other hand, has taken the case to the FIFA Appeals Committee to qualify for the World Cup in Qatar.
“It is crystal clear that the player is using a forged Ecuadorean document.” What is at stake here is not just a spot in the World Cup in 2022 but the entire concept of fair play. “The Ecuadorian Football Federation has until tomorrow to respond following a 10-day extension, claims the ANFP, which expects to hear a decision within 15 days.
“We are completely certain about the conclusions of our investigations,” said ANFP general secretary Jorge Yunge. Castillo had doubts about his eligibility previously to play for Ecuador, with claims that he is Colombian, preventing him from making his full international debut until September 2 last year.
On the other hand, Chile is pressing its case, with general secretary Jorge Yunge confirming on Thursday that a new appeal will be filed.
The player is using a forged Ecuadorean document. What is at stake here is not just a spot in the World Cup in 2022, but the entire concept of fair play.”
However, after investigating the claims made by ANPF, FIFA, the world football’s governing body, rejected the appeal last month and confirmed Ecuador’s place in Qatar.